Sesame Garlic Tofu with Stiry Fry Vegetables
The best way to eat tofu. It stays nice and firm, not mushy on the inside at all and toasted sesame seeds and sauce are so delish. You can easily change this to a Sesame Garlic Chicken if you prefer. Just replace the tofu with cubed chicken breast.
- 450 g firm tofu – cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 tsp ginger – grated
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 spring onion – finely sliced
- 1 broccoli – cut into small florets and the stem finely sliced
- 2 carrots – cut in half and then finely sliced
- 2 medium capsicum – finely sliced
- ½ onion – finely sliced
- 1 cup rice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup stock – vegetable or chicken
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp oyster sauce replace with hoisin if vegetarian
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour – mixed with water to form a slurry
- Tofu – Slice the tofu in half horizontally, place on a wire rack (over a dish) with a heavy plate on top. This is to remove the excess moisture out of the tofu. Ideally do this before (on prep day) and pop in the fridge until you are ready. Cut the tofu into 2cm cubes and toss in the cornflour.
- Vegetables – Slice all the vegetables and place in a container. Leave the onion separate.
- Sauce – Combine the soy sauce, stock, oyster sauce, honey and vinegar in a small bowl.
- Cook rice as per your favourite method.
- Tofu – In a large frying pan, heat the sesame oil and oil on medium high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the tofu and leave until crispy (about 4 minutes). Turn the tofu over after you have added the broccoli stems and carrots to the wok.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok (or large pan) on medium high heat. Add onion and fry for 1 minute. Add broccoli stems and carrots and toss for a minute. Add the broccoli florets and capsicum and toss together. If needed add a splash of water. Cook for a minute. Transfer to a large plate. Return the wok to the heat and turn down to medium heat.
- Add the sauce to the wok and cook until bubbling. Add the sesame seeds and spring onion to the pan with the tofu and stir to coat. Add the cornflour/water mixture to the sauce and stir until thickened. Transfer half the sauce to the tofu pan and stir to combine. Return the vegetables back to the work and stir to combine.
- Place the vegetables on a large serving platter, top with the tofu and serve with steamed rice.
Tips and Variations
Vegetarian – Replace oyster sauce with hoisin. Gluten-Free – Use gluten-free soy/tamari. Low Carb – Leave out the rice or use cauliflower rice.