A classic Aussie dessert, handed down over the years. We always use Maggie Beer's recipe. Image and recipe of Maggie Beer website.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C
- Grease a baking dish with butter.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then add the lemon zest and mix until combined.
- Slowly add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well between each addition
- Slowly add the flour and milk and when combined, slowly add the lemon juice to complete the batter.
- In a very clean, dry bowl, whisk the egg whites until peaks form.
- Add one-third of the whites to the lemon mixture and gently fold in. Then gently fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish/es and place in a deep-sided water bath.
- Cook for 40 minutes, or until risen and golden on top. Or if using individual ramekins cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and dust with a flourish of icing sugar
- Serve warm with cream